8.09.2015

Lemongrass-Champagne Granita




A lot of memories flashed back while I was making this granita. When I was in elementary school and until high school (Philippines), I seemed to have a lot of stop overs before I headed home. After class was dismissed, I would quickly head out of the school campus and went to the park and played with my friends.  But my most favorite to end my day was to buy flavored shaved ice with chocolate syrup and dusted with powdered milk. With my half-tucked white uniform, sipping from a thin white disposable plastic cup while walking home was just a pure joy.  I wanted to do the something similar but, I had lemongrass sitting in the fridge that I bought weeks ago so I decided to make this instead. This lemongrass-Champagne granita is elegantly delicious and it's perfect for your next Sunday brunch. Hope you like it!


Serves 4-6

Ingredients

5 sticks of lemongrass, chopped
2 cups water
½ cup granulated sugar
2 cups good quality Champagne or Sparkling Wine


Directions

Pour water in a medium size saucepan. Add sugar, lemongrass and bring to boil for 6-8 minutes.  Turn off the heat and infuse lemongrass for another 15 minutes. Remove lemongrass.

Pour the tea like lemongrass mixture into a glass bowl or baking dish then add the Champagne. Cover with plastic. Place the it in the freezer for 4 hours. Scrape the granita with fork then put it back in the freezer for another 3 hours. Scrape again until flaky and icy. Serve in stemmed glasses.





No comments: